Saturday, March 11, 2006

Ok this is Crazy! What am I doing?


After leaving Brock in Jalapa, I took the 4 hour ride to Mexico City, and arrived at the bus station around 4:30 om. Following the directions given to me by Zab and Brock I tried to get a taxi into the centre of the historical district of Mexico City. The guy at the both said something in spanish and waved is finger. I was then stuck in the bus station for like 2hrs wondering around (To most of you who know me know that this is no big suprise). I finally found a information booth which directed me to the subway. What an experience that was, the Mexico city Subway is much different from Toronto. People trying to sell things, power going out.... I finally arrived at the hotel that was sugessted to me and there where no rooms, luckly they directed me to another hotel which did. I spent the night there and got up early to head to the airport (which I was way to early for I arrived at like 1:00 for a 6:30pm flight... oops). I then was on the plane for about 24 hours, transfering in at LAX and TPE. About 10 mins into my Taiwan flight (which was 14hrs +...remind me to tell you about LAX, what a messed up airport.. just made that flight by 20 mins...) I began to think that I had forgot to check the visa requirements for entry. Trust me this was pure panic.... Lucky for me because I was grabbing a connection there was no need to pass through customs. I arrived in KL about 12:00 in the afternoon after traveling for 24 hrs (which I now know really takes its toll) and had to decide where to stay. After roaming around the Airport for about an hour I finally found a bank machine for money and where to grab the train to the heart of KL (It is kinda set up like Toronto, Another milestone overcome). I was lucky to run into a guy from Toronto and had a friend for the train ride. I then arrived at the station and the only hotel I could see was Hilton. they nicely directed me to a "Cheaper" hotel located on the edge of CT, near the twin towers. I grabbed a cab, which cost 50RM, which I found out later should have only been like 10RM (Now you have to remember that I am trying to get used to the currency here, It is now my second on the trip, and you all know how my math is without a computer or calculator) I ended up paying 20 bucks for like a 3 dollar ride...I got to the hotel and the "Cheap rooms" where all taken only some nice "expensive" rooms where left. I took one, treating myself, which in retrospect made me feel guilty. I then slept for 12hrs (going to be at 4:00pm and waking up at 4:00am). I felt much better after the sleep. I had a nice shower and got some eats and headed off to the twin towers (ones from movie Entrapment). Tickets were sold out... Just my luck. I grabbed the subway to China Town to do a walking tour which my guide book suggested. Ok I learned something really important.... I will for the rest of my life help people lost in Toronto, and anyone who looks remotely lost. I spent a good 2 hrs trying to find my way through town, what a confusing place... The hard part here is that you dont want to look like a tourist, with the book and all, looking lost.... I finally found a McDonalds (I always new that it would save me some day) where I could sit and get my bearings. I found a hotel, which is not that nice, but finally cheap. The heat here is intense.... I have sweated out almost all the water in my body and i am constantly drinking water. My first couple of days on the road have been trying. I am sure they will be better once I am out the city. I always remember 3 things. 1) I chose to do this... 2) It is an experience (a learning one that that), that is way better then sitting behind a desk and 3) My day will never be as bad as Jack Bauer's...... I will keep in touch..... PS, It is absoulty beautiful here...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well knowing you as I do I can not see you being lost and being happy about it and that in some way puts a smile to my face I am sorry to say. But being lost in a forin counrty that you know nothing about is better then staying in a job you are not enjoying as much as you used to. sounds like you are haveing a blast even tho you must have driven your self crazy what I wouldn't give to be thier with you buddy hope your travels are fun and safe and I am missing you man
p.s. if you get the chance can you send me Tyler's e mail address I would like to be in touch alright talk to you on your next instalment
Ryan

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey DJ;
Katie and I (Alyssa) are sitting here thinking what a wonderful thing you are doing. Katie is still a happy teacher, and I (Alyssa) am a happy mom to a beautiful baby girl named Kieran - she is a baby model. It is still cold in Canada, and we are jealous that you are in Mexico (hopefully not a Mexican prison)-----
Wishing you all the best on your travels,
your favourite 10th floor girls, Katie Denomey & Alyssa Bechard hugs and kisses

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>