Saturday, April 08, 2006

What An Interesting Day

Yesterday we woke up and headed out early. Our first stop was the shooting range. We were handed a "Menu"of different weaponds we could fire. Most of the guns were way out of our price range. All three of us chose to fire a clip from the AK47. I dont think I could ever really explain what it is like to fire a weapon that powerfull. It makes an incredible sound and the shells fly everywhere. The kickback of the gun is alright. One of the benifits of the AK is that you can shoot single shots or automatic. The automatic almost put me on my ass... It put a sense of realism into what the soliders must have gone through in the war. This gun is not for playing around. After we headed to the Killing Fields (actually there are many, but we went to the largest one, in retrospect it is good that we did in in that order, I dont think I would have fired the gun if it was the other way around) and to S21 prison camp. I had no idea before coming here that things like this had occured here during my lifetime. Any of you who like myself had no idea about what has occured in Cambodia, should read up on it, if only a little bit (you can try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodia) I have such a respect for what is going on in Cambodia today. They started off from "Year Zero" in 1980 and have tried to rebuild since. The rest of the day we spent walking around downtown and having a few beers back at the guesthouse. I am slowly trying to reflect on what I have learned and seen. I think with everything that I saw yesterday it may take a while. Today we head for Sihanoukville while we wait for our passports for Vietnam. We are really looking towards some beach time to cool down.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Deej!

Sounds like you are having a blast man! I remember that trip from the border of Thailand to Siem Reap... i laughed when I read your description. I got assaulted by the same kids I think! Listen - best way into Vietnam is by boat from Phnom Phen. The roads as you have discovered are very bad in Cambodia. If you want to stay with a Vietnamese family that will treat you to an unforgetable experience when you get to Danang, let me know. I will set you up.
Watch out for scammers in Ho Chi Minh city, and all over Vietnam for that matter. They are very aggressive... Nhatrang is a great beach town to chill for a while. Good booze cruise offered there...
Drop me an email cuz! Good luck and be safe!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unkie DJ

I saw you with a BB gun once before shooting at cans and the fact that someone let you have an AK47 is SCARY! I know you want to be Jack Bauer but...... all joking aside- I love reading your blog and am so happy for you that you have set out and are creating some wild and crazy memories....

Jake is doing really well- he's almost 14lbs now, and you may have noticed that Wes and I didn't write to you the same night as Cory, Karr, T et al. cause we were already home in BED!

I can't wait to have a brew with you DJ!

Talk soon!
BEX

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>